A History of the Book Review Through Its Fonts

The editors of the Book Review, which was based in 1896, preferred to tinker with its look in its early years. Although photographs already appeared in different components of the paper, these got here solely later to the Book Review. The publication turned as a substitute to typography — some of it fairly fanciful — to set its distinctive-looking pages aside.

The Book Review’s brand modified as its identify did. First it was referred to as The New York Times Saturday Review of Books and Art; then it grew to become The Saturday Review. In 1911, when publication moved from Saturday to Sunday with the hopes that it could “be read with more thoughtful attention . . . when the subscriber is free from the cares and demands of weekday vocations,” it was referred to as The New York Times Review of Books. It was solely in 1922, when a short merger with The New York Times Magazine ended, that it grew to become referred to as The New York Times Book Review.

MAY 21, 1898

APRIL 10, 1909

JUNE eight, 1901

JAN. 1, 1898

MAY 21, 1898

NOV. 21, 1908

Tina Jordan is the deputy editor of the Book Review and writer of a e book celebrating its 125th anniversary, to be printed in the fall.

Follow New York Times Books on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, join our e-newsletter or our literary calendar. And hearken to us on the Book Review podcast.