A Grizzly Bear Terrorized a Man for Days in Alaska. The Coast Guard Saw His SOS.

He was sleep-deprived and practically out of ammunition, alone in the wilderness of Alaska. Well, probably not alone.

For a number of nights in a row, the person had fended off the tenacious advances of a grizzly bear that had attacked him a few days earlier at a mining camp some 40 miles exterior of Nome.

There was no solution to cellphone for assist. But then assist discovered him.

En path to a mission on Friday, the crew of a Coast Guard helicopter noticed the person waving each fingers in the air, a well known misery sign, the helicopter’s pilot mentioned. On the tin roof of a shack, SOS and “help me” had been scrawled. The shack’s door had been ripped off.

The crew took the person to Nome to be handled for bruises to his torso and a leg harm that was not life-threatening, based on the Coast Guard. So ended a weeklong ordeal that might go as a sequel to “The Revenant,” in which Leonardo DiCaprio was mauled by a computer-generated grizzly bear.

“At some point, a bear had dragged him down to the river,” Lt. Cmdr. Jared Carbajal, one of many pilots of the Coast Guard helicopter, mentioned in an interview on Wednesday. “He had a pistol. He said that the bear kept coming back every night and he hadn’t slept in a few days.”

The Coast Guard didn’t determine the person, who rescuers mentioned was in his late 50s or early 60s and had been staying in the shack since July 12 on the small mining declare. It was not clear how the person had reached the distant camp, which has no cellphone service and is in a river drainage space.

Commander Carbajal mentioned that the Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter had modified its course by about a mile to keep away from some clouds when one thing caught the attention of his co-pilot.

“He said, ‘Hey there’s a guy down there and he’s waving at us,’” Commander Carbajal mentioned. “I said, ‘Is he waving with one hand or two hands?’”

The reply: two fingers.

“I said well, that’s usually a sign of distress,” the pilot recalled telling the helicopter’s three different crew members.

Lt. j.g. A.J. Hammac, the 35-year-old co-pilot, mentioned in an interview on Wednesday that he noticed the person stumble out of his shack. It was a curious sight for him. Lieutenant Hammac relies on Cape Cod in Massachusetts and is spending two weeks in Alaska for the Coast Guard.

“We don’t really come across people in the middle of nowhere,” Lieutenant Hammac mentioned. “He was kind of struggling. When we came around, he was on his hands and knees waving a white flag.”

Lieutenant Hammac mentioned the person’s leg was taped.

“He definitely looked like he had been out there for a while,” he mentioned.

Rick Green, a spokesman for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, mentioned in an e-mail on Wednesday that grizzly bears have been prevalent in the realm that the person had been rescued from, notably throughout this time of yr. The division didn’t have extra details about the assault or say whether or not it was investigating the encounter.

According to a 2019 report by Alaskan well being officers, 68 folks in the state have been hospitalized for accidents sustained in 66 bear assaults from 2000 to 2017. Ten folks died as a results of bear assaults throughout that interval.

Petty Officer First Class Ali Blackburn, a spokeswoman for the Coast Guard in Alaska, mentioned in an interview on Wednesday that it was uncommon for a individual to have a number of encounters with the identical bear. She mentioned the person’s scenario had turn out to be more and more dire.

“He only had two rounds left,” she mentioned of his ammunition. “I’d imagine you’d be a little loopy after not sleeping for so long.”

The encounter served as a reminder of the significance of carrying an emergency beacon or satellite tv for pc cellphone or texting system, based on the Coast Guard.

Commander Carbajal, 37, a Coast Guard pilot since 2009, mentioned he had by no means been flagged down earlier than by somebody who wanted to be rescued. It took about 15 minutes for the rescuers to fly the person to Nome, the place, he mentioned, the person insisted on strolling himself to a ready ambulance.

“You could tell he was starting to come off of the adrenaline, I think, and started to realize what happened,” he mentioned. “He did not want to get in the gurney.”

The Coast Guard helicopter had been flying from Kotzebue to Nome, the place the crew had been assigned the following day to fly a staff of scientists to go looking the shoreline for useless whales, walruses and seals.

“If we would have been in the next river valley over,” Commander Carbajal mentioned, “we would have totally missed him.”