Two People Injured in Fire at a Queens Hospital

Two folks suffered minor accidents after a hearth erupted on the roof of St. John’s Episcopal Hospital in Queens on Friday, hearth officers mentioned.

Emergency officers first acquired reviews that a massive cloud of black smoke was gushing from the highest of the hospital in the Far Rockaway neighborhood round 5:15 p.m., they mentioned. The hearth was absolutely extinguished inside an hour, the authorities mentioned.

Videos posted on social media confirmed the plume of smoke at the hospital billowing out over the ocean, and visual throughout a number of sections of the borough.

Patients and employees in a number of departments, together with the hospital’s emergency room, have been evacuated because the blaze broke out, metropolis officers mentioned, whereas others remained sheltered in place as emergency employees searched the constructing. Officials mentioned the 2 injured folks have been anticipated to be taken to different hospitals.

The Queens borough president, Donovan Richards, mentioned in an interview that the hearth was on the rooftop, and that the 11th flooring of the hospital sustained water injury. He additionally mentioned that some sufferers staying at the hospital had been transferred as a precaution, however that by Friday night, the hospital had resumed operations.

Fire officers mentioned the reason for the blaze was unclear as of Friday night.

Tyler Holgate mentioned he and his brother have been visiting their mom in her room on the 11th flooring on Friday when he noticed smoke exterior her window.

“Two minutes later we could not see anything outside the window,” mentioned Holgate, 26. “We ran out and told the nurse there is a fire. They had no idea.”

His mom was evacuated safely to a totally different flooring, he mentioned.

St. John’s Episcopal is an impartial hospital with a 257-bed capability, and is the one medical middle offering emergency and ambulatory care to the Rockaway peninsula. The space has been among the many hardest hit by the coronavirus in New York City. The hospital has not too long ago been the topic of proposed cuts that might drastically shrink its capability.

Messages left for a hospital spokesman weren’t returned on Friday.

Jeffery C. Mays contributed reporting.